Updated on Mar 09, 2018 by Kathryn Burrington
Blog > Top 10 packing tips for Cape Verde holidays
What to pack for a holiday in Cape Verde depends partly on where you’re staying and what you plan to do. We hope this guide will help you decide what to take.
Cape Verde is a year-round holiday destination with temperature highs well into the twenties, even during the cooler months.
People tend to dress casually, although men may be asked to wear trousers (rather than shorts) in the evenings and no beach wear is allowed at some hotel restaurants.
Please respect the local culture and dress modestly, especially when travelling away from the main tourist resorts.
1. Clothing – loose fitting outfits in natural fibres is the best style of clothing to help you keep cool. A long sleeve t-shirt with UPF (ultraviolet radiation protection factor) can be particularly useful for snorkeling (or if you happen to overdo it in the sunshine).
2. Footwear – Flipflops are perfect for the beach, however, a pair of light walking shoes or walking sandals will also be useful (especially if you are planning on joining any excursions or walking tours). If you’re planning to go hiking, then appropriate walking boots/shoes are essential.
3. Swimwear – whichever island you’re visiting, most hotels are on or near the beach and the crystal-clear, azure blue water will most likely tempt you to take a swim.
4. Sunscreen – even on cloudy days, the sun in Cape Verde can be surprisingly strong, any time of year. While a little sun exposure is good for you, stimulating the production of vitamin D, too much sun is most definitely not! While sunscreen products are available on most islands, you’ll find a much better range in the UK.
5. Sun hat – preferably one with a big brim to help protect your scalp, neck and face (and other areas that people often forget to put sunscreen on such as behind the ears).
6. Sunglasses – Sunglasses with UV filters protect your eyes and the delicate skin around your eyes from sunlight and should be worn even on cloudy days. Choose glasses with 100% UVA and UVB protection.
7. Insect repellent – while there is no malaria present in Cape Verde (with the exception of Santiago from September to November), we recommend taking insect repellent to help avoid annoying insect bites.
8. Jumper – You may need a shawl, jumper or light jacket for cooler evenings.
9. Umbrella – August, September and October are the hottest months, but you should also be prepared for some rain during your holiday. Whether to shade you from the sunshine or to keep you dry, an umbrella will come in handy.
In July and November, you may also see some rain, but outside these months (December to June) there is none, or very little rain at all.
10. Documents – Passport, insurance documents and flight tickets!
We include and organise your visas, providing we have received all passport details no later than seven days prior to your departure date. Remember not to join the Visa queue on your arrival! You won’t receive a physical document that you need to remember to pack, as it will automatically come up when your passport is checked in arrival. More details can be found on our website’s Flight Information page.
Full details of both your cabin and hold luggage allowance can also be found on our Flight Information page. Please do check these carefully before you travel.
Posted in Holidays, Kathryn Burrington, Top 10s | Tagged Travel tips
5 incredible excursions in Cape Verde Read more
Life beneath the waves around the islands of Cape Verde Read more
Our favourite beaches in Cape Verde Read more
Why book a holiday at Hotel Morabeza? Read more
Why book a holiday at the Hilton Cabo Verde Sal Resort? Read more
Winter 2019-20 Cape Verde holidays now on sale Read more
Hotel Morabeza, our most popular hotel in Cape Verde Read more
Cape Verde Experience
Exclusive Offers to Cape Verde
Enter your details below to receive discounted holiday offers.
Please follow this link to our Privacy Notice.
If you continue to browse the website without changing your settings, we’ll assume you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. Find out more.